LEAGUE INFORMATION 2020
- The North East London Cricket League plays matches on Saturday afternoons (and occasionally on Sundays) in the best parks in Hackney.
- The League is chaired on rotation. Guy Shennan (Camel CC) is current Chairman; Chetan Soni (Canary Wharf Royals CC) Vice-Chairman; and Ben Hayward (Bloomsbury Royals CC) is League Treasurer.
- In 2020 we welcome one new side: I Don’t Like Cricket Club.
- The standard is reasonable but this is not club cricket - it is more pub than club standard. In accordance with this, the games are played in a friendly spirit. Teams want to win, but not at the cost of cheating.
- The way the league is organised means that we have found it easiest to book pitches centrally, generally Hackney Council's pitches at Springfield Park (Upper Clapton Road), London Fields (Mare Street) and Millfields (Chatsworth Road/Lea Bridge Road); and also on Hackney Marshes (accessed from Millfields Road, off Chatsworth Road).
- This means that each team pays the League rather than for its own pitches. Depending on how many teams there are in a given, and whether or not Hackney Council offer any support, the fees will be approximately £500 for a 10 game league season. This includes the cost of two league balls per match.
- The league runs from the end of April to the around the end of September, so we need to have a reasonable commitment to field a team for the whole summer - we have had interest from students who were not able to commit to the second half of the season before.
- The league also requires that its teams have public liability insurance. Hackney Council (and other venues) have demanded this, and without it we can't get the bookings. Teams have managed to secure this for very reasonable rates.
- The number of fixtures is dependent on how many teams want to join/have joined (and that we have the capacity for).
- If you are interested in your club joining the league, please get in touch via the Contacts page and we'll get back to you on what to do next.
4 Views - Last updated: 24/01/21